For over 10 years, I have defended individuals accused of sex crimes, from gross sexual assault to engaging a prostitute. Being accused of sex crimes is a serious matter. Felony sex crimes carry a stiff prison sentence and fines. The stigma of being accused of sex crimes often turns one’s life upside down. If you are faced with sex crime charges, it is advisable to hire an attorney immediately. A good Maine sex crimes attorney can develop a good defense strategy for you. Most sex crimes in Maine are tried by District Attorneys who specialize in dealing with sex crime cases, among other serious matters. Knowing you will have this type of focus upon your case, it is important to find a good Maine Sex Crimes Attorney who has experience in defending sex crimes. It will be the District Attorney’s responsibility to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. As a Maine Sex Crimes Attorney, I take an aggressive approach to defending your case. My Firm also utilizes experts to assist in your defense, such as private investigators, mitigation experts, and medical experts. As you interview potential attorneys and look to hire a Maine Sex Crimes Attorney, take the time to find out some of the following things. The goal is to find a good Maine Sex Crimes Attorney to help defend your case zealously.
- Does the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney have Experience? An attorney with many years of experience will be familiar with Maine criminal procedures, as well has have worked with many different District Attorney’s Offices. Having a good working relationship with the State’s attorneys will be helpful in negotiating potential plea deals, and an experienced attorney would also be familiar with quality expert witnesses that might be helpful to your defense.
- Is the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney familiar with the type of sex crime case that you are facing? An attorney who is familiar with the type of sex crime charge that you are facing will know how to address this type of charge at court.
- Does the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney listen to you well? It is good practice for your attorney to listen to what you have to say. It gives you space to tell your side of the story, and it respects you as a person and a client.
- Does the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney not judge you? Because sex crimes carry so much stigma, it is essential that the attorney does not judge you or your actions so that you can receive the best defense possible.
- How would the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney challenge the State’s evidence? Based on your description of the case, as well as having seen the State’s evidence, your attorney should be able to find a defense strategy to shed reasonable doubt on the State’s case. At the very least, the attorney should have a good idea of how he will challenge the State’s evidence if the case goes to a trial.
- How would the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney approach your case at Trial? Often, sex crime charges are based upon the testimony of the accuser or alleged victim. As a result, the State’s case at trial would include the testimony of the victim on the stand. Criminal defendants have the right to confront their accusers through cross-examination. Unfortunately, false claims do occur on occasion, and such an incident can be brought to light through cross-examination. Cross-examination is often not pretty to witness, but your attorney should not hesitate to challenge the testimony of the State’s star witness or witnesses.
When asking these questions, be investigative. Also, take the time to decide whether you would want to work with the Maine Sex Crimes Attorney during your case. Overall, you are looking for someone who knows your type of case as well as recognize the unique facts that make up your case.
Contact Maine Sex Crimes Attorney Nielsen
If you or someone you care about is being investigated or have been charged with a sex crime or sex related offense anywhere within the State of Maine, please contact the experienced Maine Sex crime attorney, Chris A. Nielsen, today for a free consultation. We will be happy to discuss your case and any potential defense you may have. Your information will be kept confidential.
If you enjoyed this article on Finding a Good Maine Sex Crimes Attorney, you may also enjoy reading: