You already have a conviction for Operating After Suspension (OAS) on your record. Now you are facing a charge for Operating Under the Influence (OUI). With your attorney, you are trying to figure out whether the plea deal the District Attorney offered is a good offer. One of the questions you need to ask your attorney is will an OUI conviction count as an HO strike?
The answer to the question (will an OUI conviction count as an HO strike?) is yes, an OUI conviction will count as a strike towards a potential HO status. Therefore, you need to be aware of this fact whenever a criminal case gets resolved. It will be beneficial for you to take this fact into consideration when fighting your criminal OUI case.
List of convictions that can count as an HO strike
Even if you decided to plead guilty to a lesser charge, such as Driving to Endager (DTE), as a means of taking care of the OUI case, a DTE conviction can also count as a potential HO strike. The full list of HO strikes include:
- Vehicular Homicide
- Driving to Endanger (DTE)
- Operating Under the Influence (OUI)
- Operating After Suspension (OAS)
- Criminal Speeding
- Operating Without a License (criminal charge)
- Failure to report an accident
- Eluding an Officer
- Passing a Roadblock
- Tampering with the Ignition Interlock Device (IID)
- Any Crime committed with the use of a motor vehicle
If you accumulate three (3) of these major driving crimes within five (5) years, you would be designated as a Habitual Offender.
Our committed legal team is determined to take immediate action to seek a positive case outcome. If you or someone you know is charged with any serious driving crime in Maine, I encourage you to contact The Nielsen Group for your free legal consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. We will take the time to answer your questions and to put your mind at ease as we work with you to determine a defense strategy.
It is well worth your time to check out:
If you would like to call us now at (207) 571-8555, we can begin to develop your case strategy.
If you enjoyed the answer to the question (Will an OUI Conviction count as an HO strike?), you may also want to read:
- Habitual Offender Revocation
- How do individuals become designated as Habitual Offender in Maine?
- Maine Habitual Offender Status
- What are the penalties and implications of a first OUI offense in Maine?